


8/03/09 Wow can't believe we have been here a week already. Last night was tough not much sleep Joe did not feel well continued to have the chills and lots of bone pain. We need to be up by 5:00 am on week days so we can be to BMC by 8:00 I usually get up first and shower and then get Joe up. He needs to take his meds first and then I have to wrap and cover his catheter this is a process that we have perfected, we use a zip lock baggie that I cut down the middle and slide the tubes into and then I tape all sides down around the edges this way it will not get wet when Joe showers. Joe had a rough morning he has a tough time showering it really takes a lot out of him, this morning he ended up throwing up when he got out of the shower. He said he was exhausted. I had him rest for a few minutes before we left for the hospital, today is a big day... Stem Cell Collection Day. We arrived at Moakley Bldg right on time, now our apartment is a mile away but it usually takes about 30 minutes to actually get there by the time I bring Joe to Moakley and then I have to drive over to the parking garage park and walk back. The traffic is crazy but Joe said I am actually getting pretty good at driving here. We get to the Stem Cell Transplant Center at 8:00 am and they take Joe's BP and weight then they get Joe hooked up to the machine that is going to collect his stem cells. The machine has tubes that hook to the catheter that is in Joe's chest one tube is used to remove blood from Joe and the other is used to put it back in. The blood that is being taken out is ran through a centrifuge which separates blood plasma and the blood product that contains the stem cells and they are put in separate bags. I am sure there is a better medical way of explaining the process but it is late and I am getting tired. Joe's bones and back are still very sore and he is still has the nausea. This makes the thought of laying in the bed for the next 5 or 6 hours uncomfortable. When the doctor comes in to see him we let her know this and she is going to prescribe some pain meds and something to help the nausea. Joe will be on the machine most of the day until about 2:00 then they will unhook him and send the collection down to the lab to count how many stem cells were collected. They prescribe Oxycontin for the pain and Joe is a happy camper after that no more pain. He sleeps on and off and I watch the Devil wears Prada. At noon the Nascar race comes on Joe watches that and I go and get him a sandwich. At 1:30 they unhook him and send his blood down for the stem cell count, this will take a few hours. They check Joe vitals again and he has gained six lbs from the collection, this is mostly fluid so they will need to give him lasix. At about 4:30 they come to see us and we get great news they collected 24,000,000 yes.... twenty four million stem cells this is just unheard of but it explains all the bone pain. The Growth Factor injection were doing what they were supposed to, most people might get half that amount on the first collection. Joe is so happy, it makes all the pain worth it they also tell him he will not need the injections for tomorrows collection and they only need about 6,ooo,ooo more yeah!!! So tomorrow will be a shorter day he probably will only be on the machine for a few hours. I have attached some pictures.
Stacey and I are praying for you both!!! Keep the faith!! You both were there for me when I needed it....anything you need, let me know!
ReplyDeleteJoe, you are a strong man...keep swinging my old dart partner!!!
Mary, keep him in line and don't be afraid to ask for help!!!!
Shawn Stassi
Hey nice shrit your rock'n out man! Someone needs to look good getting the job done right...We miss you!
ReplyDeleteGood morning Joe Joe, I see you got up before me again! what's up with that? Way to pump out the cells yesterday, I contacted the guinness world book of records yesterday and you broke the record by 1000 cells, damn bro why do you always have to be so competitive, previous record was 23,900,000. please try and relax today, need not to try and break any records.
ReplyDeleteHave you in my thoughts every minute of the day! stay strong!!!!!
Joe, Awesome job on stem cells!! 6,000,000 to go!!! You can do that in your sleep. This is a great sign. Keep up the positive attitude and strong will. We are all rooting for you here!!! We love you guys. Lorrie and David
ReplyDeleteXOXO
Joe, Great job yesterday hope today goes just as well for you, we love you and are praying for you everyday. Almost time for another haircut isn't it? Elaine and Pat
ReplyDeleteHey Guys...getting pretty good at this. just read week 2. Joe, I knew you could produce but, come on!!!like Lorrie said; you could do 6 mil in your sleep. getting together a love pkge to send you - I know JOHN WAYNE has been requested and John Wayne it is! When all this is over and you are back on your feet, I think a week on "my mountain" will be in order - take care. Trish and Gavin say "hi" love, aunt lorraine
ReplyDeleteAlright Joe, great job dealing with the treatment plan so far. Your strenght, shear will and determination will have you home in time for the benefit. Joe as a side note I don't know what's worse, the treatment you're going through or 2 weeks with Mary and Lorrie hovering over you. If it gets to intense let me know, I'll come sneak you out for a cold one
ReplyDeleteTom =)
ha, ha, very funny Tom!!!
ReplyDeleteJoe and Mary keep up the hard work...the guys want to know if you need a beer?
ReplyDeleteTom wanted to let Joe know that Tommy is leaving Thursday for New Mexico. His team is playing in the Connie Mack World Series. Tom
is also going so I will keep you updated. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
The Gang At Murphys
Hi again...just got off phone with Lorrie. She finally set me straight on this whole blogging stuff; seems I did it wrong the first time...guess it shows that I'm not a 4.0 gpa girl. stay strong and keep producing. i love you both.
ReplyDeleteHey Aunt Lorraine I also had to have Lorrie's help today, apparently I set up my account yesterday as an anonymous follower.....I think they call that a stalker. :-)
ReplyDeleteHi mom & dad, this is dunkin again! hope you don't get mad but I snuck out last night, they had a doggy dance at the corner bar, I made sure I didn't wonder to far as my neck has been killing me, once Todd gave me my meds I felt better. Anyway I met this chihuahua last night and she was absolutely gorgeous, her name was harmony, hum! they don't call her Harmony for nothing! I'll just leave it at that, she was just the coolest women I've met in a long while, spoiled me all night. Here is the kicker, I brought her home last night and she got into everything, I told her my daddy was OCD but she wouldn't listen, leaving crap all over the house, oh ya she wasn't house broke either.
ReplyDeleteno worries, I'm busting my butt cleaning all day today, you've taught me well, matter of fact I think I have a little of that OCD in me to. You & mom take care, I can assure you everything will be in order by time you make it home. ruf ruf
Terry you are too funny!!!
ReplyDeleteHey Lorrie, some has to keep him going with sarcasm, nice to see everyone staying in touch.
ReplyDeleteThat's for sure... He is very loved OCD and all!!! And of course, Mary is loved too!!
ReplyDelete