Tuesday, August 4, 2009

08/04/09 Second Week of Treatment in Boston



8/04/09 We had a much better day today Joe woke up feeling pretty good, his back was still a little sore but since he did not have to get the G - injection he felt pretty good. We went through are morning routine rather quickly this morning I think we are adapting to it. The scary thing is my driving skills have greatly improved, if you could see the morning rush hour here it is crazy and I am just like ho-hum instead of white knuckling it all the way to the hospital. Well enough of that, Joe was like a rock star at the stem cell clinic today from the minute we walked in everyone was talking about how he pushed out the 24,000,000 stem cells. It was wonderful nobody has done that many in years so it made Joe and me feel pretty great. It was the same routine first his vitals and than back on the stem cell machine. Today he only had to stay on it until about 11:00. Today's movie was High Crimes with Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd (Joe's favorite actress) he was hoping to see her naked but no such luck. The psychiatrist came in and checked on Joe, we had about a 30 minute visit with him. Ok the funny thing is Joe has been harassing most of his doctors, especially with the whole Red Sox / Yankees thing and he can usually get them to play along well not so much with the psychiatrist. Anyways you all know Joe pretty well so you can imagine him with the psychiatrist for the most part it went pretty good and he felt that Joe and I were handling everything well. Joe's Stem Cell Transplant doctor; Dr. Sanchorawala came in to talk to us about Joe participating in a clinical trial. Let me back up a minute as some of you may know Joe is a high risk patient for the stem cell transplant due to his Atrial Fibrillation and his bleeding disorder so they are taking many precautions during the treatment process. Well he is doing so good so far they feel that he will now also be a good candidate for the clinical trial that they have in progress at the research facility. So let me explain with the treatment Joe is having now (Hi dose chemo/ stem cell transplant ) the complete remission rate is 50% and remission rate is 30%. If he has the clinical trial along with the current treatment plan his complete remission rate goes up to 70% or higher. What the clinical trial involves is Joe would have four doses of a type of chemo called Velcade given to him for four days before he starts the High doses of 100mg Melphalan for two days then he will get his Stem Cell infusion on the seventh day. They have had great success with this clinical trial they are 4 for 4 for the complete remission of 70% or higher. We have discussed it and Joe wants to go for the clinical trial. We have to hope that the insurance company approves their share because the cost per day of the Velcade is $12,000.00 so we will not know until Thursday if Joe can participate. Keep your fingers crossed and pray on it. Today was a short day we got leave at 12:30 and Joe did so well with stem cell collection and his cath looks so good we get the day off tomorrow yeah!!! Time to catch up on some sleep and all the paperwork that insurance companies require. We will not know until Thursday how many more stem cells Joe collected today but I am sure it was more than the 6,ooo,ooo they wanted from him. So all in all today was a good day, Joe and I were acting goofy today at the hospital and we took a picture of us (Joe is not sleeping just being a goofball). We love you all and your comments are great, I read them to Joe before I start each days blog.

12 comments:

  1. We will definitely pray for the insurance company's approval for the clinical trial... we are so glad that you guys had such a good day today. You look pretty good sister for being exhausted. Joe you keep up the sense of humor...you know what they say "laughter is the best medicine". Love you guys Lorrie and David XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, you little devil, you still look damn sexy! You are both super hero material in my book. I'll get out my second pair of rosary beads to pray for the insurance coverfage - they are the super power ones from the Vatican blessed by the new Pope - they gotta be good. Hang in there, make sure you (Mary) eat and get some sleep - the insurance papers will still be there after you nap. love, aunt lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Socks!!

    Sorry, Joe, You know how Kevin is.

    Can't wait for our dinner. I'll be in Maine on the 14th (Kennebunk). Maybe we can time a visit.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys! Mary you're doing a great job with the details, I almost feel like I'm right there with you, eating lunch, taking a nap etc.You both look like you're holding up pretty well. I know how exhausting the schedule can be both mentally and physically.
    You know why Joe was able to produce so many stem cells don't you? It's the competativness in him. He just can't have anyone else out do him. Hee Hee. Go Joe!! Take Care, Moe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the pic's last nite! Big game tonite I hope good things happen for both teams! And I deff hope not to hear Travis bitch later like you..lol! Love ya's

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe Joe, enjoy your day off, Mary watch out, you know he'll only have 1 thing on his mind today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe Joe, when you see Hi above, that's from aunt Kay, I called her and walked her through how to blog. I don't think I've seen or talked to her in 25 years plus, it was nice hearing her voice and chatting with her. She has always
    been a sweet women.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joe and Mary,

    Yes, this is great news! You will be in my prayers for all to work out. I am so glad you both have a day off and can relax some, rest up and sleep in hopefully.
    Mary, if you get a chance please let Lorrie know if there are any movies you and Joe would like to watch when you get time. We have a million movies at home and I am not kidding about that. Just give her titles or types of movies you like and I'll send some along with her when she leaves this weekend.

    Love you both, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep up the good work! How 'bout them YANKS?!
    Paul B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary & Joe. Joe may not remember me, I worked at Eckerd with him. I am so sorry that you guys are going through this.
    I completly understand what you are going through. My 23 yr old son, was diagnosed at 16 with Leukemia. He has had a bone marrow transplant and been out of remission 3 times. He is currently in remission for a little over a yr. I can relate.
    If I can do anything, including being a support line, please dont hesitate. It is truly a roller coaster ride of your life. Things change so fast, you dont have time to emotionally react until it settles back down, and Mary, you will find strength you had no idea you had. I will be here following. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi you 2

    hope you had a good day just being off duty. I am really tryinghard to figure out something to send you guys that would get your mind off the issues at hand but Trish won't let Gavin come to Boston....he would really have that hospital joint jumping! I continue to pray pray pray, hope God doesn't think I'm whinning.
    love, aunt lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Joe saw your sister today and filled us in. I got your blog site so I thought I would drop you a little note to say hurry up and get better because I miss singing my Joe Joe the man whore song......
    Love and miss you at work. Mary keep up the good work and you are both in my prayers

    Pam

    ReplyDelete