Sunday, August 2, 2009

First week in Boston

7/28/09 Went to Boston Medical Center - Moakley Bldg for blood draw to check INR, cholesterol & triglyceride levels. The Moakley bldg is where the Amyloid Treatment and Research Program and Stem Cell Treatment Center are housed.

7/29/09 Today Joe had to have a transfusion of blood platelets due to his INR levels being too high, they will not be able to put the catheter into his chest if the INR level does not come down. We met with the nutritionist today to go over the neutropenic diet ( low bacteria ) that we will need to follow after Joe has his Chemo and Stem Cell Transplant. Bye - Bye blue cheese, fresh fruit and veggies. Hello well done meat and individually wrapped processed food. Triglyceride level keeps going up it is over 500, this is one of the symptoms of Amyloidosis. Before Joe had this disease his cholesterol levels were great. They will change his medication to try and bring his level down. If not the problem of collecting more fat cells then stem cells will be an issue but they say it will not change the treatment plan. After the transfusion was completed they retested Joe's INR and the level came back low enough to do the cath placement tomorrow yeah!!! We met with Lisa Yanarella, NP in the stem cell unit we just love her she went over Joe's treatment calendar with us and all the emergency contact information. Then both she and Dr. Quillen gave Joe a head to toe exam. Long day but Joe is holding up well.

7/30/09 Catheter placement today had to be over at BMC - East Newton Campus at 7:00 am catheter placement went well, very little bleeding. Joe is sore but doing well. I have to keep an eye on it for bleeding if more than a dime size that will not stop with pressure we will head over to the emergency room.

7/31/09 Not to bad of a night last night neither of us sleep very well ...but no emergency. I managed to cover up the cath with press and seal and medical tape so Joe could shower and we had no leaks. Joe starts his growth factor injections today he will have one in each arm. The G-CSF injection helps move the stem cells out of the bone marrow and into the blood stream. He receives two injections because he is given three times the normal dose of G-CSF in order to mobilize enough of the stems cells needed for the transplant. These injections will continue until they have collected the required amount of stems cells (4-5 days). He will receive these injections again after the stem cell infusion. Common side effects of G-CSF are: Bone pain, joint pain, headache, low blood pressure and fluid retention. So today we went to the Moakley Bldg to the Stem Cell unit this is where we will be everyday during the week. Joe said the shots felt like bee stings, not to bad. His catheter looked good, and it made all the blood draws a lot easier. We seen the doctor again talked about a few issues that Joe is having but for the most part Joe is still in pretty good spirits and the nurses love him.

8/01/09 On the weekends we will go to the hospital for Joe's injections this is at BMC - East Newton Campus. Joe was a little achy this morning his bones are beginning to hurt. We meet the nurse on the 7th floor and she checks Joe's weight and blood pressure and then gives him his shots then we can leave. He starting to feel the shot side effects more and more but Tylenol seems to help some. Joe slept a lot today; I caught up on laundry and did some grocery shopping.

8/02/09 We were up early today about 5:30 Joe was having a problem sleeping, just not feeling well; achy and said his back was hurting. His heart has been beating fast from his Afib said he can feel it. We will talk to the doctor some more about it on Monday. Gave him some Tylenol and he laid back down. Left at 10:00 am for the hospital for injections, weight and BP check. We had a quiet day most of the day Joe watched the Yankees game and rested on the bed. We had dinner and he started to not feel well about 8:00 pm very sore all over and started to feel like he was getting a fever and the chills. I gave him some more Tylenol and some hugs and kisses. Joe went to bed early needs lots of rest big day tomorrow they will start collecting his stem cells. We need to be there at 8:00 am and will be there all day until 5:00 pm. We will do this for the next two or three days until they have enough stem cells collected for the transplant. Thank you everybody for your prayers we love you...

13 comments:

  1. Joe and Mary

    We are all thinking of you and praying everyday for Joe's speedy and successful recovery. As you know, I will be there on Saturday... I can't wait to be there to be by your sides and give you all the help and support that I can at this time of need. I love you both. Your Sister Lorrie XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe Joe, I'm keeping up on the stats for those sorry Rams! Sports center has them finishing last in there division this year.
    They mentioned one of their most coveted fans is away in Boston,which won't help team spirts. imagine! must be you! They ask you hurry home to help root these boys on, throwing the remote at Mary, chasing Dunkin around the house keeping him quiet during those fumbles. They need you Joe, stay strong lil Bro! as 1 week is in the books, soon you'll be counting down the days where you'll be home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe Joe, to funny! I received a call today from your nurse, she mentioned your sex drive hasn't deminished, slow down kid, there is plenty time for that when you get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe, I just got off the phone with Dunkin, he asked if you knew where his treats are? He's tired of waiting on the sofa for you & Mary, I told him where to find them and he ate the whole friggen bag, good news though, he ran the vacum as to make sure there wasn't one crumb left on the floor.
    What a good boy that Dunkin is, I swear if I didn't know any better, he has OCD also.
    Love Dunkin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe & Mary,
    Thanks for the card. You know I'm there for you anytime. Nice job on getting the Blog up and running. I didn't know I was driving to Boston Saturday, I thought Lorrie wanted to leave Sunday. Works either way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY JOE AND MARY.HAD KAYLA SET THIS UP SO I COULD SEE WHAT ALL THIS BLOGGING IS .AND I MIGHT ADD ITS PRETTY COOL.NOT THAT I DONT TALK TO YOU GUYS ON DAILY BASIS ANYHOW BUT I LIKE THE PICS .
    JOE IM GLAD YOU ARE DOING WELL I LOOK AT MY CALENDER EVEY DAY TO SEE WHATS NEXT.I PRAY EVERY DAY FOR THE BOTH OF YOU,JOE SORRY YOUR IN ALOT OF PAIN THAT HURTS TO KNOW.JUST KEEP IN MIND WHAT THE OUT LOOK IS GOING TO BRING SO WE CAN SEE YOU HOME AND DOING WELL AGAIN.LOVE YOU BOTH AND THE KIDS AND I WILL KEEP PRAYING . LOVE BON AND KAY ,COREY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Neighbors!
    Glad to hear that the collections was so successful- way to go, Joe! No worries on the home front... Lawn looks great, house looks great, and no parties.... :) You know we are here for ya both as well as keeping you both in our prayers. Great blog Mary!
    The Cimilluca's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joe and Mary . . . . . Wonderful news on the stem cell collection. Way to go Mary on the blog - great job! Joe - you're already winning on the stem cell collection . . .stay strong! It's a game I know you can win !!
    Always in our thoughts and prayers. Love, Randy & Lisa

    PS: Just wondering if Joe had an itch in the first picture. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WELL BON HERE GLAD TO SEE EVERYTHING IS GOING GREAT. LOTS AND LOTS OF PRAYING OVER HERE.MISS YOU GUYS LOVE YOU BOTH .KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK JOE YOU WILL BE HOME IN NO TIME .THANKS MARY FOR TAKING SUCH GOOD CARE OF MY BROTHER.LOTS OF LOVE YOUR WAY FROM THE KIDS ME AND BOB.HURRY HOME.YOU ARE MISSED TERRILBE.HAVE A GOOD DAY OF TOMORROW.I WILL BE TALKING TO YA SOON BYE FOR KNOW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so very complicated. You both have to be very strong now and later. I know you will be.
    I hope you're able to enjoy something about the journey - good food, good emails, good results,
    and on and on. You know you have tons of rooters out here. Love, Aunt K

    ReplyDelete
  11. HEY JOE AND MARY BON HERE .JOE I HAVE EVERYTHING COVERED HERE WITH MOM SO DONT YOU WORRY.I AM WATCHING OVER HER REAL GOOD .YOU NO ME I WOULDNT LET NOTHING HAPPEN ON THIS END.I SHE HER ALOT ALSO TALK TO HER TONS .SO YOU JUST RELAX AND HAVE NO WORRIES.IM GLAD YOU ARE PROGRESSING WITH YOUR TREATMENTS. ACTUALLY IM LOOKING AT THE CALENDER AND YOU ARE AHEAD OF YOURSELF WHICH IS WONDERFUL.HANG IN THERE JOE YOUR DOING GREAT.JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I FINALLY PUT UP YOUR POSTER UP IN ILLUSIONS HAIR DRESSING.BY DADS HOUSE. RIGHT OFF THE BAT KAREN ORLOWSKI FROM BREWERTON NOTICED YOU .I EXPLAIN EVERYTHING TO HER AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT WAS ASKING ABOUT YOU TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY AND THEY ALL WANTED ME TO TELL YOU THEY ARE ALL PRAYING FOR YOU AND MARY. ALSO A QUICK RECOVERY.BOY YOU WOULD THINK YOU WERE A MOVIE STAR.YOU ARE KNOWN ALL OVER.WHAT A GREAT THING RIGHT.THE MORE PRAYERS THE BETTER.WELL JUST KNOW WE HERE IN THE DAVIS HOUSE ARE ALL SENDING TONS OF PRAYERS AND HUGS YOUR WAY .LOVE YA HUN STAY STRONG YOUR A BATEMAN SO YOU CAN DO IT .LOVE BON BOB AND KIDS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Guys:
    Joe, I love your sense of humor - hang on to it in the days to come. Mary, you are doing a masterful job of reporting events as they happen. I've always said women are the best drivers. ha
    Love and prayers = Aunt Kay

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi guys,

    Joe your famous back home, pictures, posters and flyers of you all over the place. Your family and friends are working hard to help. If you or Mary need anything please feel free to ask. I will keep all the women wanting your autograph at bay. Hey anything for a friend. Hang in there and don't let the nurses give you crap. Yankee's rule!!! We love you Guys and your in our thoughts and prayers. Michael stassi and family

    ReplyDelete