Monday, August 24, 2009

08/24/09 Fifth Week of Treatment

08/24/09 I can't believe we are starting our fifth week. I did forget to mention one thing on yesterdays blog, the doctors wanted Joe to get up and start walking a little. So on Saturday morning when I left to go take a shower I told him when I get back he had to walk he wasn't actually thrilled about this so, I brought back his Yankees pj pants. Well the night before the Yankees beat the Red Sox 20 to 11 and sure enough that got him out of the bed, we strolled up to the nurses station Joe in his Yankees pj's and boy was everyone surprised to see him out of bed and walking until they seen Joes pj's then the teasing started, so Joe says to the nurses in the lowest of voices because he is still so sick "don't worry I am wearing my Red Sox boxers" of course this got a big laugh. Well today we had to be back at the Stem Cell Treatment Clinic at 8:30, we did not sleep great last night up and down a lot due to the C-Dif. When we got back from the hospital on Sunday, I helped Joe take a bath and he wanted to shave because he hadn't all week. Well he decided to shave his mustache and beard off so he is all clean shaved now. He has started to lose his hair so he figured his facial hear was next. He is not upset about losing his hair he said it was the least of his worries. I am going to miss it because I rub his hair at night when I am reading in bed, I will have to rub his head instead while we are waiting for it to grow back. So great news today, it is day +11 this is how many days has passed since the transplant and Joe's white blood cell count is up to 2300, normal is 4,000 to 10,000 his red blood count is still low so he had another blood transfusion today. The doctors told us today if Joe keeps on progressing the way he is with no other complications we will be able to leave for home in 7 to 10 days. It will still be several months before his immune system is strong enough to be out in public without a mask and has all his energy back but we will be home. I am slowly getting Joe to eat today he had toast, rice and two carnation instant breakfast made with lactose free milk. I have to try and get 32 oz of fluid along with small meals in him so he does not dehydrated again from the diarrhea, which has gotten a little better but will be awhile before it is gone. The docs were really happy to see Joe doing so much better today from when they last seen him at the hospital on Friday. They said once the white count comes back it starts fighting off any infections so that is why he is doing so good his count almost tripled from Sunday. I want to take a minute to thank everyone for all their prayers, best wishes and support this would of been so much harder without all of you. We love you and see you soon, and don't stop praying.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Joe and Mary, Well I can't believe that I have already been there and gone. That you are now on week five. Thank GOD!!! I am so glad things are going just as the drs. hoped. Its funny how we were waiting a few weeks ago for your stem cell transplant and how we were talking about getting you through those few real tough weeks... and now here you are thank you God getting stronger each and every day and the chemo and stem cell transplant is behind you! Soon you will be coming home. When you told me that today I just wanted to cry! I was so happy... Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey you guys how is my jo jo hope you are feeling good ......we are still praying for you both yea tj says goooo yankees joe we are all hoping and cant wait to see you both ...just keep your chin up mary you are the strongest person i know on this earth i dont know how you do it but the big man up above is there with you both soo hurry up and come home will ya love always michele and family xxxxoooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm so glad to be getting this texts and seeing that joe is doing so much better then before! You both made it threw, and now there are only going to be mini bumps instead of mts to over come. Just think home close you are to come home and to see your grand-baby crawling! And duncan freacking out cos your home, he just might pee himself..lol! Can't wait we can all taste it now and i'm sure u can too. Love you!

    Nikki,Travis,Corbin & Emersen

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear joe & mary - sorry to be "out of touch" for a while but I am so damn emotional right now...all tears - happy cause of your progress, sad cause I can't do as much for younas I wish I could. One thing this family needs is more happiness and not any more bad things happening to such wonderful good people like you two. keep stayng strong, and Joe, you'll still be so damn sexy even without the hair! love you both..aunt lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe and Mary!
    I am so happy to hear that you are on the up swing- PHEW!!!!! We all think of you and pray for you daily... Can't wait to get you both back in the neighborhood, it's been too quite! :)
    Peace and love,
    The Cimilluca's

    ReplyDelete