Friday, August 7, 2009
08/07/09 Second Week of Treatment
08/07/09 Go Yankees beat them Sox 13-6... you would think it was the Giant and the Pats playing. Boy did Joe have fun with that at the hospital today. Well we did our usual routine this morning and man I am telling you I am getting real good at covering that catheter not a drop of water gets on it. So big day today first day of chemo well it almost did not happen things were going along just fine this morning and I am pulling out of our parking garage and going up the street that our apartment is on and all of sudden it is like the streets of San Francisco sirens coming from somewhere and loud. This cop comes flying off a side street going about 100 Joe yells stop just as I am slamming on the brakes and I swear he missed us by a inch. Almost turned right in to me, well it made for a real quiet ride to the hospital. I think Joe and I both were trying to get our hearts back in to rhythm funny thing was when we were going down to the parking garage we were talking about how with all these tiny spaces I have had to park in I have not had one ping put into my jeep and Joe said you probably just jinxed yourself. Somebody was watching over us. Joe had his morning greeting all rehearsed for when he showed up at the stem cell transplant clinic he walks in a says " How did you sleep last night I slept like a Yankee I mean a baby." This got a big rise out of everybody (for you none sports fans the NY Yankees beat the Boston Red Sox last night). Anyways the usual, weight, blood pressure and put into a room. They had to draw blood and check Joe's levels before he starts his Velcade and the doctor had to come in and examine him, he has been in Afib since we been here so he has to see the Cardiologist/Electrical system doctor on Monday before he starts the 100 mg melphalan on Tuesday. Well today when DR. S examined him no Afib I think from our little scare with the cop car I Knocked him back into rhythm they did another ekg and no Afib but he will still see the cardio on Monday. So now that he is getting the clinical trial his calender changes. Today he got the Velcade (chemo) he is off for the week end. The only side effects he might get this weekend maybe some nuasea and tingling of the hands and feet. Then Monday he will get another dose of Velcade; Tuesday and Wednesday he will get the bad stuff 100 mg Melphalan I say bad stuff because this is the stuff that is going to take his immune system down to nothing and make him real sick in about a week. On Thursday they call this his birthday this is the day he will get his stem cells back. Then on Friday and Monday Velcade again, everyday from the day following his stem cell infusion he will start with the G-CSF injections again to get the stem cells reproducing and pushing them through the blood stream. He will also get antibiotics and red blood & platelet transfusions. This will go on for the following weeks until they see his blood counts back to normal. I will also be giving him a slew of pills they had me fill 15 prescriptions and on Monday I will learn what pills I need to give him when. So if you call me or text me and I don't get back to you right away don't be offended because all my time will be taking care of my husband. We left the clinic today at about 2:00 and had a non eventful ride back to the apartment and I park the jeep in the garage and Joe says honey your getting real good at this your scaring me, I think he is almost admitting I can drive. Well another day behind us and another step forward to Joe's recovery. It's still so hard to even believe we are gong through all this but we are staying positive and Joe is so strong he knows it is going to get harder but he is trying to stay upbeat. Well love you all and keep praying. All your comments are so helpful for both of us so thank you for caring so much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Guys. Joe you are such a shit... walking into that hospital rubbing it in. ha,ha I will spend tomorrow packing and getting things in order here so that I will be ready to leave for Boston on Sunday with Tom. I have everything that you asked me to pick up for you from the store... let me know before tomorrow night if you need anything else. I am so proud of you both. Love Lorrie XOXO
ReplyDeleteTake care of eachother!!!
ReplyDeleteI love you! Muah!
ReplyDeletewell joe happy birthday.from what i am reading things sound good.hang in there big brother your going to get through this .i know this because you are a strong gerred man.the storm will come then it will pass .thanks mary and lorrie for being such a great help to my brother.i know he is in good hands.love you all and we are defenitly praying for you joe.bob wanted to say what about those yankees.well sleep well and be strong you will be home before you know it. love bonnie bob,and kids .mary keep up the nice blog .this is wonderful especially getting to see my brother.bye for now.
ReplyDelete