Thursday, August 6, 2009
08/06/09 Second Week of Treatment
08/06/09 Just a quick update and I will fill you in on more tonight the clinical trial was approved by the insurance company and Joe starts his first round of Chemo (Velcade) tomorrow. Yeah!!! Sorry we were so excited that the insurance company approved the clinical trial I wanted to get it out there to everyone as soon as as possible. So today was a real good day Joe woke up a little cranky but that was OK, hey who wouldn't be a little cranky in his shoes. I hardly slept at all last night and got up at 4:30 and put the tea pot on and tried to figure out what my issues were. By the time Joe got up I was fine and was ready to take care of him and anything else that came my way. We did not have to be to the Stem cell clinic until 10:00 today and once we arrived it was pretty comical a few of the nurses there started harassing Joe because they could tell he was a little miserable but he lightened up once he was weighed and we got inside the room. I think we both were just anxious to know if the insurance company approved the clinical trial or not. Oh by the way Joe did another 10,000,000 + stems cells on Tuesday so he is way over the 30,000,000 they wanted. So once they came in and told us that the clinical trial was approved we were just so happy. Let me explain why this clinical trial is so important to Joe's recovery and about primary amyliodosis it is a plasma cell disorder which originates in the bone marrow. The deposits in this type of the disease are made up of immunoglobulin light chain proteins which may be deposited in any bodily tissues or organs. The disease results when enough amyloid protein builds up in one or more organs to cause the organ(s) to malfunction. The heart, kidneys, nervous system and gastrointestinal tract are most often affected. Normally, bone marrow makes protective antibodies, which are proteins that protect against infection and disease. After they have served their function, these antibodies are broken down and recycled in the body. With amyloidosis, cells in the bone marrow produce antibodies that cannot be broken down. These antibodies then begin to build up in the bloodstream. Ultimately, they leave the bloodstream and can deposit in the tissues or organs as amyloid. Ok so with the treatments that Joe is going to receive the Hi dose chemo and stem cell transplant will take care of the plasma cell or the seed it will kill of the amyliods the Velcade (clinical trial drug) will treat the bone marrow or the soil that they cultivate in. So in theory this is what will raise Joe's complete remission rate from 50 to 70+%. Joe's kidneys, nervous system, bone marrow and spleen are affected with amyloid. Sorry to go through all that but wanted to help you understand why the clinical trial was so important to us. Big day tomorrow we start the first treatment of Velcade so tonight was the last night of normal as we know it so we decided to go to dinner, Joe has decided that nobody can do beef the way NY does. He will start his low bacteria diet now. We had along talk about how much life has changed from last year till now and how scared we both are but that we are ready for a fight. You never know how much you really love each other until you are going through something that takes every part of your being to get through. Well we have great family and friends to help us out and lots of prayers. So we love you all and thanks for all your messages it really makes are day to read them god bless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello Aunt Mary and Joe, he doesnt like me calling him Unle he says it makes him feel old haha. Im excited for you guys the insurance company approved the clinical trial.I have a few doctor clients following your blogs and praying for Joe.Stay strong and keep writing everything is so informative, i miss you guys and my prayers are with you, Love your nephew Dave
ReplyDeletehey you 2....Heard the GREAT NEWS! I knew they could'nt go up against the Pope Rosary beads! love you both, get your rest and keep positive. You ROCK. love, aunt lorraine
ReplyDeleteJoe & Mary,
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the the Insurance approving the Clinical trial. Glad to see that everything is going good so far, we think of you all the time. Pretty cool that you where able to hear a little of the Paul McCartney concert.
So Joe, not only do you pitch in a horseshoe league (and win), you run it. I'm in a horseshoe league too. It just so happens that it falls on the same night of the week. I'm really not that good at it. When you get better we'll have to shoot a game or two, you can kick my ass......maybe?
I've shared this blog info with Wendy & Rob, Carol K., Tom S. & Dede D., there will be others.
Good Luck & God Bless,
Doug & Chris
Hey Mom and Joe,
ReplyDeleteWe are so glad Joe is doing so well, we never doubted the fact that Joe was going to kick ass in this whole thing seeing how he never loses in anything after all his ping pong record is 7,800 - 4. And the four loses are because the guy spoted 10 points and was half in the bag lol... Anyways we sat down Duncan for a long talk about wearing protection and what not, seeing how he's been going out every night with Todd. Also in case you haven't heard yet Eli is now the highest paid player in the nfl, o yah tell all them patriot fans that Tom Brady is a little girl...
Well we miss you guys so much!!!
p.s I think Uncle Tom does a better job with the lawn then you do ;) Just kidding no one can touch you in lawn arts haha
Love you pops!
Hi Joe & Mary,
ReplyDeleteI am very pleased that the insurance company did the right thing. I am looking very much forward to seeing both of you Sunday. Mary hang in there, help is on the way. Joe keep pushing forward brother, I was calculating your treatment schedule and how bout we set you a goal of coming home on 9/9 that is a wednesday and should be 3 weeks from the time they transplant your stem cells. Joe you can do it.
Ok so I went and mowed the lawn today, Karl came and helped. He mowed while I trimmed everything. Looks good. Karl said he really likes your mower. Anyway when I went in to check on Ducan, I found him with an Ice pack on his head complaining of a nasty hangover. I asked him what the hell he did lastnight and apparently He and Todd went down to armory square and ran into some real dogs (haha). Ducan left with the two girls and partied until 4am when he snuck into the house. He couldn't make to bed, so he wasn't sure if Todd made it home. I told him mom and dad would not be happy and he better not wander off again. I told him if he got picked up by animal control and had to go to court, he was going to have to come up with his own bail. I'm sure I put a good scare into him. =)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete"Strength does not come from winning
ReplyDeleteYour struggles develop your strength.
When you go through hardship
and decide not to surrender,
that is strength."
I found this inspirational quote and thought I would share it with you... Joe, I know you will not surrender that you will fight through this with all your strength. We all kid with you about being so competitive but really that is a good thing because you will fight through the next few weeks as hard as they will be. We will all pray to give you and Mary the strength that you need to get through this.
The news today is another step in the right direction... another prayer answered!
Love you guys, David and Lorrie
Great news guys! way to stay on top of everything Mary! yes love & support will carry you through anything that comes your way, and puts little things in life into perspective.
ReplyDeleteNow for the important issues! what the heck are we going to do about Duncan? looks like he's carried on Joe's traditions while Joe is gone. Tom, please don't leave any clumps of grass while mowing, this will hurt Joe worse than chemo, if possible send him some pics after mowing, hey even if they are out of southern home lawn magazine, he won't know the difference, just doctor the pic up a bit.
Love you guys!
I'm thinking with all the talk about Duncan, he is just having a blast with Todd as his new Master. He don't know what to do but jump on Todd's wagon. It's not Duncan's fault, but if you come home and find him calling up Todd and saying " I really need you to Bail me out dogg" He is just going threw something. lol. I love this stuff they come up with, it's funny! We are glad to hear everthing is going your way and can't wait to everyone can look back and say yeah that was a rough year, but I'm here and I rocked right out of me!!! You can do this and we all know you can! And for you Mary (Mom) You need your sleep just as much as Joe. I know you worry and your mind races at night when it's time to sleep. Just call me and we will talk or text. You are stronger then what you think, and nothing will happen to joe, God is not ready for him by any means! He want him down here with you to drive you crazy, that is what joe is for! Please don't worry! We are all here to catch you if you need to fall. I love you both very much as if you are my own mom and dad!
ReplyDeleteNikki
Joe & Mary,
ReplyDeleteWhen I heard that the insurance company approved the clinical trial I just took a moment to thank god for all his blessings so far. You both are so strong and your positive attitudes are proof that love can conquer all. Joe I believe that god does not carry us this far to drop us, so keep the faith and know that we are all here for you guys. If we can do anything please just ask.
Love, Pat & Elaine
Praying for you and Joe everyday. Miss you guys...I love this blog site ... it's like we are with you everyday. Much love, hang in there - we love you - Pam & Ken
ReplyDelete****True friendship is a knot which angel hands have tied, forever*****
Mary thanks for the very informative update. All of the neighbors are asking how you are doing. Ava keeps wanting to go over and play with
ReplyDeleteAunt Mary...I have been keeping my eye on the flowers and they look fine. I will do some watering tomorrow. I got on here to check on how the first day went. ..hope all is well.
Love,
Kathy, Mike the boys and Ava
Mom, Joe what is up how did your day go? Mine has been pretty good but the night is going to be better. Me and Dunc-diddy are just starting to get ready to meet up with a couple girls and some bitches downtown(get it hes a dog haha). Dont worrie about the house, there's just a couple burn holes in the carpets and sofas, i tryed telling dunc not to smoke in the house... but don't worrie i heard those are easy to fix. Havent seen the remote in like three day but im sure it will turn up, and when i got home from work today i spray painted the dead grass spots on the lawn so it looking crisp just how u like it. Other than that and the rats everythings fine trust. Well we got to get going but oh dunc diddy came clean and admitted to me he was a boston fan yesterday morning then we took up a bet on the game that night yanks spanked them so i been harassing him all day haha -drinks are on him tonight
ReplyDelete